Pray with us...

For ONELife 3 to continue to grow in love for God and His people...

Bible Reading Plan

Friday, 13 November 2009

The Choice

Choices @ the Heart of Life
Choices are at the heart of everything. Just as I was listening to the sermon last week on "Battling with Passion" and as I went about the week preparing for cell, reflecting on the things that happened throughout the week, I came to think more and more about choices.


How do you make choices in life? At cell, some of us has shared how some of us make choices based on our end goals in mind, some make choices base on opportunity cost and consequences, some base it on exprience, some base it on feelings, while some seek advice from friends and some seek the Lord.

I always remember the time I made a choice which I still remember ultimately changed my college life. It was the second intake for college and I was given a choice to change my subject combination. Then, I was taking "A" levels Chinese. Though I did not understand why I choose to take "A" levels Chinese (given I didn;t seem to have the flair for it) but I made the choice to continue on with my subject combination because I had not wanted to leave my friends who I have come to know. And, well, as they say, the rest is history and I chartered this part of my life story and made a decision based on my feelings.

Everyday in our lives, we are confronted with choices to make. From our attire, to our meals, to how we respond to various matters, we make choices everyday. Even in our spiritual life, we are faced with choices, starting from the choice we make to make Jesus our Lord and Saviour, to the challenges we face daily in making choices which would impact our walk with the Lord e.g. making priorities about our quiet time, participation in church, ministry, prayer meetings, cell vis-a-vis other priorities in life or even making choices between succumbing to temptation vis-a-vis choosing how God would like us to respond as children of light. Choices are real and part and parcel of our life.

Choices & Life
Just last week, I have had the opportunity to speak to 3 very different people who made different choices... one was sharing with me about his younger days and how he was in triads and how he met his wife who changed him. As he shared about the horrors of what happens at the gallows for some of his friends, I can see him being all relieved that he has turned back in time to not be in the shoes of some of hos friends. Equally, I have also spoken to different ones who responded very differently to trials and also in their choices to either let God triumph over circumstances or circumstances "over" God.

In Pastor Chye Aik's sermon the previous week, he spoke from Galatians 5. To me, as I read, it spoke to me clearly about life and the choices we make.

In Galatians 5: 16-18, we see that there are two extremes: life by the Spirit and life by the flesh...

16 So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. 17For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.


There is a clear conflict between the two and we are to choose from them.

And Galatians 5:19-25 further goes to show the outcome of life by the Spirit and by the flesh:

19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.


Verse 21 mentioned that those who live life by the flesh "will not inherit the kingdom of God" but those who live by the Spirit will experience love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. This is a choice we have to make.

But how do we live by the Spirit? Basically, it does come down to choices we make... Indeed, I don't think there is a "7 step formula" for being able to live by the Spirit. But, when I reflect upon it and also look at my own spiritual walk, I wonder why is it that some people seem to have some much passion for God that keeps them going despite all circumstances? What about Jesus; Son of God, born as Son of man? What kept Him going that, amidst all the agony of knowing He is to be crucified on the cross, that He would go on to say the familiar "not my will, but yours be done", ultimately dying a horrible death on the cross for our sakes? The passion of Christ? To me, it became clear it is a choice.

As I did my quiet time last week and read from John 8:12-30, several things spoke to me:
  1. Jesus knows where He is from and where He is going (v14)
  2. Jesus knows He does not stand alone but with the Father (v16, 29)
  3. Jesus knows Father God (v19)
  4. Jesus knows the Father's purposes for Him (v28-29)
Jesus knew all these and had made the choice to yield Himself to God. Jesus knows who He is and where He is going and yielded to God.

As I look back at my life and realised how, thanks be to God, I have matured relatively in how I make choices in my life. But even so saying, at present, I do still struggle with some decisions I which have a big bearing on my ministry and life. But as I reflect, I have realised how I have moved from choices made based on "me-centric-ness" ("me, me, me") to more or less "God-centric-ness" ("God, what's your will for this?"). And it becomes clear that yieldnesses to God is so critical in our life by the Spirit because unless we yield ourselves and the choices we make to God, we will be living life based on ourselves, our flesh, our emotions, our strength.

Do you know who you are and where you are going?
Do you know that despite all circumstances that God is always with you?
Do you know the Father's heart and His purposes for you; not only to restore you to Him and refine you but also to restore many others to Him, what Paul calls the Ministry of Reconciliation (2 Cor 5:11-21).

I have to admit that it can be a journey of uncertainty but God is an Almighty God and nothing is impossible for Him:

I know I am had been saved by grace by God;
I know that I am redeemed and restored by God through all the work He has done in my life;
I know that I do not need to go through life alone and can trust in Him becaase I saw how He provided and brought me out of the pits when I held on;
I know that God is a sovereign God and has His plans for me;
I know He has restored me to be a blessing to many others
I know that I am a child of God;
I know where I am going after passing on from life.

To live life by the Spirit, choose to see all He has done in your life and choose to yield to Him. Do not do life alone or with your own strength. Nothing is everlasting, not even our lives, our riches we have, our jobs, our ministry, except for God, His will and His love.

Isaiah 40:28-31 (NIV)
28 Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.

29 He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.

30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;

31 but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

No comments: