Pray with us...

For ONELife 3 to continue to grow in love for God and His people...

Bible Reading Plan

Wednesday, 15 August 2012

The Orchestration of Salvation


This video brought me back to something that the Lord taught me on 22 Sep 2006 and also through "Becoming Fishers of Men" course and also from 1 Corinthians 3:6 (NLT) which says "I planted the seed in your hearts, and Apollos watered it, but it was God who made it grow."

As I typed this, I am reminded once again that "witnessing is simply taking the initiative to share Christ in the power of the Holy Spirit, then leaving the results to God". We have our part to play to lead up to one's salvation.

I remember this lesson dearly on 22 September 2006. To cut a long story short, here's the fast track of the story:
  • The day before, I felt a prompting to ask a friend out to talk to him about his involvement with a cult
  • God provided the opportunity to meet this friend
  • I was worried and struggled the whole day asking myself if this is indeed God's will or my will
  • I was on my way to meet my friend when a colleague "happened" to also come by and mentioned that we can travel together
  • I then shared with her my predicament and from her handbag, she whipped out a book "Knowing God's Will", which she mentioned that somehow the librarian at her church did not allow her to return it and so would like to lend it to me now.
  • I arrived early for my friend's appointment and read a portion of the book which read:
'If this thing about leadings of the Spirit is genuine, we should see some real results from it; results that are more than would naturally happen'. But then another thought came to me, 'On the other hand, God should be able to lead us to do something where we would not see results at all. Maybe he just wants us to have a small part in what he is working out, and we cannot see the result of what we did.' ... (on his leading to speak to a freshman about Christ) it would have been a major miracle for that grad student to turn to Christ as a result of one conversation... Maybe, the Lord wanted me to just lay one brick in something he is building, and I will never get to see what the result will look like.

  • Anyway, the meeting was disastrous and my friend was not convinced
  • I left feeling as a failure
  • The next morning, I returned to office with only one email from a colleague, something that is rare
  • It was from the day's Daily Bread reading which could not be more apt. 
  • The 22 Sep 2006 Daily Bread read:

Mixing-Bowl Musings

Countless times I’ve heard myself say, “I’m going to bake a cake.” Then one day I realized that I’ve never baked a cake in my life—only my oven can do that. I simply mix the right ingredients and allow the oven to do its part. Through that division of labor, I have the joy of seeing others taste and enjoy delicious cake.

God used my mixing-bowl musings to clarify a dilemma I once had after starting a neighborhood Bible study. It was one thing to bring my neighbors together to study the Bible, but seeing them believe and follow Christ was another. I felt powerless. Suddenly I saw the obvious. Like baking cakes, making Christians was impossible for me, but not for God. I had blended the right ingredients—an open home, friendship, love. Now I had to trust the Holy Spirit, through His Word, to do His work. When I cooperated with that division of labor, I had the joy of seeing others taste of God’s goodness.

In Luke 18:18-27, Jesus so vividly described some hindrances to saving faith that His listeners began to wonder if anyone could be saved. Do you feel that way about someone? Be encouraged by the Lord’s strong reminder that there are some things that only God can do. Saving people is one of them.

The Lord’s the only one who can
Transform a person’s heart;
But when we share God’s saving truth,
We play a crucial part.  —Sper
 We sow the seed, but God brings the harvest.

God prepared the lesson for me and "cushioned" the lesson both before and after the meet up with my friend. Well, as at now, I have not heard from my friend but one thing is for sure, I have faith that God will work things out eventually. I am one who just sowed the seed.

So conclusion, work with the Lord in witnessing to people around you. You will be astonished.

No comments: