Pray with us...

For ONELife 3 to continue to grow in love for God and His people...

Bible Reading Plan

Thursday, 16 August 2012

About Thanksgiving

God got me thinking about thanksgiving this morning as I found these videos (see below the last 4 videos of this blog post). I know at first glance, it might look silly when viewing this video but then God brought me a revelation that when you can be like them to give thanks to God for their life, however small or big, you have come to realise the essence of life that is given by God. 

The Lord With Me
Just as God brought a friend to call me earlier on and I shared with her on what happened in the last one year, it triggered the following reflection:

The last one year had been a tough one for me: stressed with wedding prep, getting a house, renovating, wife's grandfather passing on, father got diagnosed with cancer, trying to cope emotionally, physically and financially with my father's condition and treatment, father's pneumonia just as doctor said he completed his chemotherapy well only to suddenly pass on from it, work stress, wife having to undergo surgery for fibroid, ministry struggles, me going into depression and also struggling with illnesses such as slipped disc acting up, asthma, toothache etc.

You might ask, where is my God and how come all these happened to me. My answer: My God has always been here with me. Trials are inevitable in life and I could have gone through this down period without God. But He was there, through the times I struggled, angered, cried, lamented, lost hope. I cannot imagine going through it without God.

But as I reach the tailend of this season, I know He IS real and He IS with me; He has shown me through many miraculous circumstances and through His words and teachings. Don't weather though life alone. God is concerned about how we grow as a person created by Him with holiness and His purposes and plans in mind. He does not work like a genie who works with our whimps and fancies or who needs placating with sacrifices. This is the Creator and Father God. So my gratitude and thanksgiving is to God.

This reminds me of the "Footprints in the Sand" Poem but here's one done by a Korean animator. Meaningful:


Footprints in the Sand
One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.

This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.

 So I said to the Lord,
"You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during
the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one
set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most,
you have not been there for me?"

The Lord replied,
"The times when you have
seen only one set of footprints,
is when I carried you."

 Copyright © 1984 Mary Stevenson, from original 1936 text, All rights reserved


Giving Thanks

Between Gratitude and Thanks

Thanking God for Difficult People

Thanking God for Tough Times
Here's what the word of God got to say about thanksgiving, emphasis mine.

Ephesians 5:20 (NKJV)
giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ

Colossians 2:6-7 (NKJV)
As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving.

Colossians 4:2 (NKJV)
Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it with thanksgiving

Philippians 4:6 (NKJV)
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God

Ultimately, God says in Hebrews 13:5 (NKJV) "Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.

No comments: