Pray with us...

For ONELife 3 to continue to grow in love for God and His people...

Bible Reading Plan

Thursday, 31 December 2009

Reflection: Closing 2009

Wow, in a few hours' time, 2009 is going to come to a close. For some of us, it might have been an easy year and for some it might have been a rough year.

2009 has its equal shares of ups and downs for me but I am still thankful to be able to sit here. I remember Elder Freddy sharing at service at the end of last year, that despite our circumstances, we can still thank God for placing us where we are, because it is really true that we have it better than others in other parts of the world. Our life circumstances, for example, are relatively better and our life expectancy is anything from 78-80 years old as compared to some which is 39 years old. So, amidst all the downs, I still find that I can still be thankful for much which may have been taken for granted.

Indeed, as I reflected the year, I still thank God for the wisdom He has provided me at work, for blessings in my relationships, for friends, for the lives I have seen changed by Him, for blessing my ministry (which I had so wanted to give up) and for healing that He has given me in my back problem and even in my life.


Something which I like about new years is the hope it brings; for some it signify a new start and hope that perhaps things can be better. And yes, as Christ-followers, we can have it better because we have the hope that we are entering the new year with God. And while trials are a part of parcel of life, we know we don't have to deal with it alone.

Was doing my quiet time this morning and was reading from Psalm 50.

Psalm 50: 14-15
"Sacrifice thank offerings to God, fulfill your vows to the Most High, and call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor me."

No matter how easy or rough the year has been, let us round up 2009 in thanksgiving and praise to God for how He has been faithful in our lives. Honor the Lord as He has delivered you. The Lord reminds us that he is "The Mighty One" and that we can continue to look to Him.

John 15: 1,4 (NIV)
"I am the true vine... Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me."

John 16:33 (NIV)
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

At chapel today, I was ministered to by an old hymn in The Salvation Army's song book, sang to the tune of the hymn "Thanks to God":

Thank you, Lord, for all your goodness:
Through the years of yesterday;
Thank you, too, for present mercies
And your blessing on my way.
Thank you for each revelation,
And for what you choose to hide;
Thank you, Lord, for grace sustaining
As I in your love abide.

Thank you, Lord, for sunlit pathways,
Thank you, too, for byways rough;
Thank you for the fruitful summers
Also for the winters tough.
Thank you, Lord, for fragrant flowers
Growing right amid the weeds;
Thank you for the peace you give me
Even when my spirit bleeds.

Thank you, Lord, for wayside roses,
Even for the thorns beside;
Thank you for the prayers you granted
And for those that you denied;
Thank you, Lord, for precious comfort
In my hours of grief and pain;
Thank you for your precious promise
Life eternal I shall gain.

Authors: August Ludvig Storm (1862-1914),
Translated Flora Larsson
The Salvation Army Song Book: Song Number: 552

No comments: