Pray with us...

For ONELife 3 to continue to grow in love for God and His people...

Bible Reading Plan

Thursday, 8 January 2009

Look Up, Within and Ahead!

Recently, I have been sensing a strong prompting to pray for one another in cell and I know that different ones of us may be facing challenges, big or small, family, career, finances etc... frankly, though I may not know what some of you are going through but then I am praying to God to show me how I can encourage you all...

For 2 days, I did my morning devotional and also randomly opened my bible devotional earlier on... both are from the book of Job.

The first day, I read about Job's response to the trials and accusations he was facing. Here is someone who lived a righteous life and didn't deserve the troubles that came his way. And he cried out to God in Job 31:5 onwards that "If I have walked in falsehood or my foot has hurried after deceit-let God weigh me in honest scales and he will know that I am blameless".

But Job claimed God's loving sovereignty and looked UP and claiming God's right to rule over his life

"Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised." Job 1:21

The, he looked AHEAD and counting on the Lord's promise of resurrection:

" I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see him with my own eyes—I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!" Job 19:25-26

If you ever gets weary and find it hard to believe, remember the times when God delivered you as He delivered Israel:

'You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles' wings and brought you to myself" Exodus 19:4

Those times are testimony to how He had been real in your life and how He had drawn you to Himself.

Lastly, Job looked WITHIN and confessed his own lack of understanding:

"I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted. You asked, 'Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge?' Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know." Job 42:2-3

Today, I prayed and asked God to speak to me so I can encourage and randomly flipped my bible to a devotional on, yup you guessed it, Job again. The first few lines mentioned:

"God doesn't always deliver us from our troubles; sometimes He delivers us through them. That's a hard truth to accept but it represents a very real dynamic in God's economy.... but as with Job, sometimes God has a greater purpose-to teach us, to draw closer to himself, or for some other reasons we struggle to understand..." things that are too wonderful for me to know.

I have to agree that Job is always a tough book because it speaks of hanging on in times of trials. But personally, even as I go through some struggles myself even now, I cannot deny how God had been real and had blessed me and even brought me through past struggles... so I do look within and admit I can never fully comprehend God and His ways, I look up ahead holding on to the promises He had previously given me through His word especially Jeremiah 29:11) and I look up and accept his sovereignty in my life.

And so I will still sing...

"many things about tomorrow, i don;t seem to understand, but i know who holds tomorrow and I know who holds my hands..."

I Know Who Holds Tomorrow - Alison Krauss and The Cox Family


Perhaps, like Senior Pastor has reminded... who is your pilot? in times of turbulence, it is not the time to jump out of the plane but to trust the pilot, return to your seats and fasten your seat belts. Times of abundance and blessings bring praises to the Lord but what about times of trials and tribulations, draw closer to Him.

I hope we will just keep praying for one another, for our church leaders as they go for their leaders' night tomorrow, for our church and for all who are hurting... be a blessing to them.

Isa 40:13 says "Who has understood the mind of the LORD, or instructed him as his counselor? But
Isa 40:31 says "but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

When we know of nowhere to turn, fall on your knees and pray.
As someone sends me an sms, it says "in times of troubles, do not say 'God we have a big problem' but 'Problem, we have a big God!'"

I hope I have been able to bless your hearts.

No comments: